Bill Gates once coined the phrase "Content is King" - and never has a truer word been spoken, until Jonathan Perelman (VP of shareable content giant BuzzFeed) added “…but distribution is queen and she wears the pants” and if 'generation Social Media' has taught us anything, it’s that you no longer control how consumers perceive your brand. It doesn’t matter what YOU have to say about your brand – it’s what everyone else has to say and how you control that. The potential for how you control what your users see, hear and think is huge – but if you are not paying attention to how you distribute that content, then you’re wasting your time.
I work for Fashion and Beauty brands every day and my clients’ ultimate goal is ROI, I know that if I fail to merge the gap between Social Media and traditional marketing methods then this is a hugely wasted opportunity. If you’re not communicating with the graphic designers, buyers, VMs, PR teams and so on - what message are you sending to your consumer? You have to build a Social Media strategy based around initiatives and messages that are built into your overall marketing mix and make sure you’re all singing from the same hymn sheet.
There are some basic steps you can take to make sure that you are making the most out of your content: -
- Don’t treat Social as a separate activity - align it to your brand’s objectives and amplify the reach of your brand.
- Be relevant to your audience - as a Social Media marketer you have the perfect opportunity to slip seamlessly into your consumer’s personal conversations and influence their decisions.
- Take care with your content – be cohesive, optimize your images, maintain an identity across all channels.
- Don’t jump on the bandwagon – research if a social channel is right for your brand and what your consumer can gain from it.
- Use analytic tools – they’re there for reason, find out what is making your consumer tick.
- Maintain an on-going dialogue with your consumers - listen to them > feed this back into your brand > realign your objectives for social.
Article written by Fashion & Beauty Account Manager @coupmedia_sadie
Image Credits: Free Info Society